THE 32-year-old Innocent Nyati, a Zimbabwean national that lived in the Kuisebmond residential area of Walvis Bay, was burned beyond recognition when the backyard shack he lived in caught fire.
According to the incident report provided by the Namibian Police in the Erongo Region, the fire broke out at about 02:45 on Saturday morning at a house in Bagani Street after Nyati returned home from an evening out on the town.
The incident report states that that Nyatis’ backyard shack was one of three that burned to ashes.
All the personal belongings of the deceased person were also destroyed and his brother, who resided in one of the nearby shacks, had to identify him to investigating officers.
The Chief of the Walvis Bay Fire Brigade, Dennis Basson also confirmed the incident and said the fire was in all probability caused by a candle that was left burning when the deceased person fell asleep.
He said that besides the one person that was burned beyond recognition none of the other shack dwellers sustained any injuries.
“They did lose all their personal belongings as a result of the fire. We went to the site of the fire later n Saturday where we handed the tents, mattresses, blankets, and some food to the survivors,” Basson said.