THE 20-year-old high school learner, who tested positive for COVID-19 last week, and who is now known as case number 37, is the source of the third cluster transmission of SARS-CoV2 in Walvis Bay.
Dr. Kalumbi Shangula, the Minister of Health and Social Services, during the morning information session at the National COVID-19 Communication Centre, said that four of the eight new cases registered in Namibia are all contacts of the young man who is currently under isolation at Mariental.
Two women, a 14-year-old girl and a 30-year-old man, according to Dr. Shangula, were all traced.
They submitted swabs on 19 June and their results came back positive on 21 June.
The four people were registered as case numbers 56, 57, 58, and 59.
Case number 60 is a 34-year-old woman who was a contact of case number 35, a 26-year-old man who was taken to hospital in an ambulance last week when he started showing serious symptoms of COVID-19.
Like the four previous cases, the woman was swabbed on 19 June and her results proved positive on Sunday.
Three more cases, a 24-year-old woman, a 65-year-old man and 43-year-old woman, tested positive for COVID-19 as a result of the active case search that was launched at the Kuisebmond Community Hall over the weekend.
The three cases were registered as numbers 61, 62 and 63.
Case number 63, the 43-year-old woman, normally resides in Swakopmund.
The seven remaining cases are all residents of the Kuisebmond residential area of Walvis Bay.
Dr. Shangula said none of the eight new cases have any travel history and only one, the 65-year-old man, presented signs and symptoms of COVID-19 when he submitted samples for testing.
All were placed into supervised isolation and are now part of the 42 active cases being managed by health officials.
Health officials are currently monitoring 289 active contacts.
With the active case search, the number of tests performed has more than doubled and according to Dr. Shangula, laboratory technicians analysed 322 samples.