PLANS are underway to host the Under 20 Namibia Sports Commission (NSC) Youth Games as after the country goes into Stage 4 of the State of Emergency that was implemented to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The NSC has previously suspended all sporting activities including formal and informal activities as a measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
However, operational of some sporting activities was resume on the 01st June this year with strict measures put in place.
Omusati Regional Sport Commission Chairperson Vaino Shimutwikeni, said they plan to host their only NSC U/20 youth games from 25 to 27 September at Rietfontein and from 3 to 5 October in Swakopmund.
“We have to divide the games in two tiers to ensure that all activities take place and taking it to those two towns is more conducive as both have a national youth hostel and ample sporting facilities and space,” said Shimutwikeni.
According to him, this will only be possible when the country enters Stage 4 of the set State of Emergency regulations.
Shimutwikeni indicated that the only challenges they are currently faced with, is financial constraint to ensure the success of hosting of the youth games and athletes not adhering to the set regulations during their training.
This was revealed during the NSC information sharing meeting on COVID-19 compliance and enforcement of regulations, which was facilitated by Internal and External Officer of NSC Tjeripo Musutua held on Friday at Outapi.
The meeting was attended by 46 sport heads from Namibia Football Association (NFA), Namibia School Sport Union (NSSU), Chess, volleyball and basketball federation and including members of the town councils.
Shimutwikeni called on all sport lovers to always involve the NSC in order to uplift sport in the Omusati Region and to foster better relations amongst each other.