Select your Top Menu from wp menus
  • Instagram
Shortfall in the tourism industry as lodge catches fire

Shortfall in the tourism industry as lodge catches fire

Eba Kandovazu

THE cause of a blaze that broke out at the Itenge Community Lodge in the Zambezi region last week Thursday is yet to be determined, the environment and tourism ministry said.

According to Spokesperson Romeo Muyunda, the lodge burned down when veld fire spread across the area, including the home of one of the teachers at the Ngoma Primary School.

“Due to strong winds, the flames crossed the bridge and engulfed the lodge. At this stage, we’re not sure how much damage was done but we are waiting a report from the community in that area. The situation is, however, unfortunate and a blow to tourism in that area. Hopefully employment and other opportunities have not be affected,” Muyunda explained. 

Muyunda maintained that the lodge was initially built with funds from the environment and tourism ministry, but has to date not become operational because of infightings within communities on who should run it.

It is also located near a conservancy.

Related posts