A SHACK fire in the Tulinawa informal settlement in Swakopmund claimed the life of the 32-year-old Eugene Rudy Uirab over the past weekend after he allegedly left a burning candle unattended in the house when he went to sleep.
According to Deputy Commissioner Erastus Iikuyu, Erongo Regional Crime Investigations Coordinator, the victim burned beyond recognition when the shack was completely destroyed by the blaze.
It is alleged that the shack started burning between 03:00 and 04:00 on Saturday morning because the victim left a candle burning when he fell asleep. According to the official police report most of the shacks in the Tulinawa informal settlement does not have electricity supply and people use candles to see in the dark which has been the cause of many shack fires in the past.
Although a candle left unattended is currently suspected to have caused the fatal shack fire an investigation has been launched to determine the actual cause.
According to Deputy commissioner Iikutyu the deceased person was alone in the house when the fire broke out and added that no other person was injured during the incident.