Select your Top Menu from wp menus
Latest News
Shortfall in the tourism industry as lodge catches fire

Shortfall in the tourism industry as lodge catches fire

Eba Kandovazu
THE cause of a blaze that broke out at the Itenge Community Lodge in the Zambezi region last week Thursday is yet to be determined.
According to spokesperson of the Ministry of Environment and Tourism, Romeo Muyunda, the lodge burned down when veldt fire spread across the area, including the home of one of the teachers at the Ngoma Primary School.
“Due to strong winds, the flames crossed the bridge and engulfed the lodge. At this stage, we’re not sure how much damage was done but we are waiting a report from the community in that area. The situation is, however, unfortunate and a blow to tourism in that area. Hopefully employment and other opportunities have not been affected,” Muyunda explained.
Muyunda maintained that the lodge was initially built with funds from the ministry, but has to date not become operational because of infighting within communities on who should run the lodge.
The lodge is also located near a conservancy.

Related posts