THE Namibian Ports Authority, during the inauguration of the new Container Terminal on Friday, donated N$1 million towards the mitigation of the devastating drought in Namibia that was declared as a State of National Emergency by President Hage Geingob during his State of the Nation Address.
While delivering the Sate of the Nation address earlier this year, the Namibian Head of State called on all Offices, Ministries, Agencies and other stakeholders to mobilise and ensure the provision of necessary drought relief assistance to affected communities.
Namport joined the likes of other state owned enterprises like Namdia and Nampower which also made large donations towards the drive to mitigate the effects of drought on people of the country.
The acting Chief Executive Officer of Namport, Kavin Harry, handed the donation to President Geingob and said that the state owned company used funds from its social responsibility arm, the Namport Social Investment Fund for the donation.
Shortly after the president receieved the ceremonial check from the acting Namport CEO, Li Yi, the vice president of the China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC), who was the main contractor during the construction of the new Container Terminal in the port also donated N$1 million towards the National Emergency Disaster Fund.
Dr. Geingob said the donations are welcomed and reiterated that every person in Namibia should join hands and pull in the same direction to help each other in a time of desperate need.
The President called on other companies in Namibia to emulate the example of the CHEC and help where they can with as much as they can.