Select your Top Menu from wp menus
Latest News
Head-on collision kills four more people

Head-on collision kills four more people

Niël Terblanché

ANOTHER four people of which one is a four-year-old girl lost their lives in yet another head-on collision between a double cab bakkie and a seven-seater.station-wagon on the road between Otavi and Tsumeb.
The crash brought the death toll on Namibian roads since the start of the weekend to almost 20 in the span of a single day.
The latest incident occurred earlier on Saturday afternoon about 30 kilometres north of Otavi and the Oshikoto Regional Crime Investigations Coordinator; Deputy Commissioner Naomi Katjiua confirmed the death toll of the latest incident. She added that three other occupants of the seven seater were critically injured and taken to the Tsumeb Hospital.
“It is alleged that one of the vehicles was busy overtaking and failed to return t its lane in time to avoid the head-on collision,’ Deputy Commissioner Katjiua said.

Pictured: The wreck of a double cab bakkie that was involved in head-on collision between Otavi and Tsumeb earlier on Saturday.Four people in the other vehicle did not survive the crash – Photo: Contributed

According to Deputy Commissioner Katjiua the double cab bakkie had three occupants of which one was admitted to the Tsumeb hospital in a serious condition.
She said the actual cause of the accident is still under investigation and that the victims will be identified at a later stage.
The crash follows a little more that 24-hours after 13 people were killed when a minibus left the road near Kalkfeld and overturned on Friday afternoon. The driver of the minibus in the meantime succumbed to injuries in the Katutura Intermediate Hospital.
The death of the minibus driver was confirmed by Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi of the Namibian Police’s Public Relations Division late on Saturday afternoon
The minibus with a maximum carrying capacity of 16 people had 45 passengers on board when the accident occurred.
In a separate incident on Saturday morning the 47-year-old Shikalepo Matheus Hamutenya passed away at the scene of an accident on the C14 road behind the dunes between Swakopmund and Walvis Bay.
According to the Erongo Regional Crime Investigations Coordinator, Deputy Commissioner Erastus Iikuyu, the 49-year-old driver of a white Opel Corsa lost control over his vehicle before it left the road and over turned about ten kilometres from Walvis Bay. The driver was later arrested on charges of drunken driving and culpable homicide.
A third occupant of the Corsa, the 40-years-old Wilhelm Van Wyk sustained injuries and was admitted to the Walvis Bay State Hospital.
Deputy Commissioner Iikuyu said the accident occurred shortly after 08:00 on Saturday morning.
The death of the minbus driver, the four occupants of the seven-seater near Otavi and that of Hamutenya near Walvis Bay brought the death toll for the weekend to 19.

Related posts