Select your Top Menu from wp menus
  • Instagram
Fire destroys garage

Fire destroys garage

Niël Terblanché

A FIRE, believed to have been caused by a short circuit on a car battery, destroyed three vehicles and a garage at a house in Cyrill Fernandez Street near the Huis Palms old age home in Walvis Bay early on Tuesday morning.

 

The home owner, Otto Mack, was awoken by loud bangs coming from his garage at about 03:30.

 

At first Mack suspected that it might be burglars that caused something to fall over in his garage in the dark, but upon further investigation he discovered that the entire content of the building was already ablaze.

 

  • Fire destroys garage car battery destroyed three vehicles house Cyrill Fernandez Street Huis Palms old age home Walvis Bay
  • Fire destroys garage car battery destroyed three vehicles house Cyrill Fernandez Street Huis Palms old age home Walvis Bay
  • Fire destroys garage car battery destroyed three vehicles house Cyrill Fernandez Street Huis Palms old age home Walvis Bay
  • Fire destroys garage car battery destroyed three vehicles house Cyrill Fernandez Street Huis Palms old age home Walvis Bay

 

The Walvis Bay Fire Brigade was summoned to the scene and the fire was brought under control after a while.

 

The Chief of The Walvis Bay Fire Brigade, Dennis Basson, said a preliminary investigation indicates that a short circuit on a battery of one of the vehicles in the garage is the most likely cause of the fire.

 

“The loud banging noises that the homeowner heard were most likely the car windows exploding from the heat of the fire,” he said.

 

Basson said that a proper fire wall between the various properties bordering on that of Mack’s prevented the fire spreading to other nearby homes.

 

The Chief of the Fire Brigade said that no fatalities or injuries resulted from the fire.

 

Related posts