THE COVID-19 related death of two young people earlier this week amplified the necessity for people of all ages and from all walks of life to adhere to health protocols in place to prevent the rampant spread of the invisible enemy.
President Hage Geingob while announcing new national COVID-19 response measures that will be implemented in Namibia lamented the deaths of the 17-year-old girl and a 25-year-old man and said that it is extremely sad that such young Namibians became the victims of the invisible enemy. Geingob also expressed concern about the sharp increase of fatalities during August.
The Deputy Minister of Health and Social Services, Dr. Esther Muinjangue, while announcing that Namibia has recorded five more deaths and that 194 more people from across the country tested positive for COVID-19 echoed what the Head of State said earlier on Friday.
According to Dr. Muinjangue that at the current average infection the rampant transmission of SARS-CoV2 may lead to an additional 3 240 new cases in the next two weeks.
“There is an urgent need to continuously observe prevention measures to interrupt transmission,” she said.
With regard to the 194 new cases, the deputy health minister said that the gender distribution is 99males and 95 females of which the youngest newborn infant and the oldest is an 84-year-old pensioner.
A 141 of the new cases were recorded in Windhoek while 17 new patients were registered in Walvis Bay, ten in Swakopmund, five each in Eenhana and Rehoboth, three each in Okahandja and Keetmanshoop, two each in Otjiwarongo, Rundu, and Oshakati and one each in Okongo, Karasburg, Gobabis, and Tsumeb.
According to Dr. Muinjangue Namibia has cumulatively registered 6 906 confirmed cases. She pointed out that the daily average for the past two weeks is 216.
“We have observed that 5 180 (75%) of total confirmed cases are from among the active population whose ages range between 20 and 49 for both males and females,” she said, adding that the trend is also of concern to the health ministry.
Dr. Muinjangue announced the recovery of 13 patients and said that eight of them were registered in the Karas Region, four in the Hardap Region, and one in the Ohangwena Region. All the patients were discharged and allowed to return to their homes.
The total number of active cases increased to 4 052, and of these 16 patients are severely or critically sick and in high care facilities in the Khomas and Erongo Regions.
With regard to the COVID-19 related fatalities, the deputy health minister said that four are from Windhoek and one from Walvis Bay. Among the new fatalities is the 17-year-old girl that passed away in Windhoek while in a severe clinical condition since she presented with COVID-19 symptoms on the 18th of August.
According to Dr. Muinjangue the young patient had multiple co-morbidities. She said her clinical condition kept on deteriorating and that she passed away on the 26th of August.
The remaining three fatalities from Windhoek are that of 69-year-old woman that passed away on 21 August, a 90-year-old woman who passed away on 24 August, and a 78-year-old woman who passed away on 27 August.
The fatality recorded in Walvis Bay is that of a 66-year-old woman who passed away on 27 August. All of the deceased persons tested positive before their deaths and all of them had multiple co-morbidities.
Dr. Muinjangue extended her sincere condolences to the bereaved families and said that it is extremely painful that so many people passed away in Namibia in a short space of time.
The COVID-19 related death toll in Namibia currently stands at 65.