Select your Top Menu from wp menus
  • Instagram
Namibia records eighth COVID-19 related death

Namibia records eighth COVID-19 related death

Niël Terblanché

A 47-year-old man from Walvis died five days after being admitted at the local state hospital with severe COVID-19 symptoms.

 

The Minister of Health and Social Services, Dr. Kalumbi Shangula, announced the COVID-19 related death earlier on Sunday and said that deceased person was known to have underlying medical conditions.

 

“The patient was admitted to the Walvis Bay State Hospital on 21 July 2020. He was tested while admitted and the result came back on the 23rd of July 2020. He was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit of Welwitschia private hospital, but died shortly after being admitted there,” Dr. Shangula said.

 

The minister conveyed his deepest condolences to the bereaved family, to the Walvis Bay community and to the nation at large.

 

Along with the death, the health minister also announced that 88 new cases were registered in Namibia over the past 24 hours, of which 62 people are from Walvis Bay and 19 are from Swakopmund. No further details were provided about the cases at the coast.

 

The minister said five more cases were registered in Windhoek.

 

The first case is that of a 31-year-old woman from the Okahandja Park informal settlement who presented to health officials with symptoms consistent with COVID-19.

 

She does not have any recent travel history and no known contact with any confirmed case.

 

“The second case is a 25-year-old male that was already in a quarantine facility when he submitted specimens for testing. He did not display any COVID-19 symptoms,” he said.

 

According to Dr. Shangula, the third case is a second person from Khomasdal with no travel history and no known contact with an active case.

 

“The 36-year-old woman presented herself at a clinic due to a physical indisposition. She was tested on the 22nd of July 2020,” Dr. Shangula said.

 

The fourth case in Windhoek is that of a 51-year-old woman who returned from Germany on 18 July. She had been in a quarantine facility since her arrival and her test results proved positive although she did not display any symptoms of COVID-19.

 

He said a 35-year-old man was tested at a health facility because he presented with COVID-19 related symptoms.

 

According to Dr. Shangula, the patient has no recent travel history and did not have contact with any of the known positive cases. The minister did not give any further details about the residential area of the patient.

 

The health Minister said that a 13-year-old boy from Mariental also tested positive.

 

He added that the boy did not present any symptoms, but that the reason for the boy going for a test was not provided by local health officials.

 

Yet another cross border truck driver, who recently returned from South Africa and normally resides in Namibia, tested positive for infection with the coronavirus at Keetmanshoop.

 

The patient was since placed in mandatory isolation.

 

“We also have three recoveries. The patients registered as case numbers 48, 76 and 90 have recovered, were discharged and allowed to return home. This brings the number of recoveries to 75,” he said.

 

The number of active cases under the supervision of health officials increased to 1 692, while the number of active contacts being monitored increased to 2 647.

 

The most recent death of critical patient who was admitted to hospital brought the total number of COVID-19 related deaths in Namibia to eight.

 

Related posts