A 45-year-old man from Walvis Bay, who died while alone at home last weekend, became the third COVID-19 related death to be recorded in Namibia.
The deceased person was never registered as an active COVID-19 case in Namibia.
The Deputy Minister of Health and Social Services, Dr. Esther Muinjangue, during the latest COVID-19 update, said that a specimen was collected from the deceased person and that the results proved positive.
“He was known to be on chronic medication. Relatives informed officials from the health ministry he had been well and that he went to work on Friday the 10th. On the 12th of July, it is reported that he called a friend complaining of a headache. On Monday 13th July when he did not turn up at work and after calls to his phone went unanswered, the police were informed and his lifeless body was found in his home,” Dr. Muinyangue said.
“We offer our sincere condolences to the entire family and friends,” she said.
Besides announcing the death, Dr. Muinyangua also stated that 44 more patients tested positive for COVID-19.
“Six of the new cases are foreign nationals and members of a crew onboard a vessel in Walvis Bay. One of the new cases is a resident of Swakopmund while the remaining 37 are all residents of Walvis Bay,” she said.
According to Dr. Muinyangue 33 of the patients are male. The youngest patient is a one-year-old baby and the oldest patient is 61.
The deputy health minister also announced the recovery of three patients that have been in isolation since their test results proved positive. She said the patients registered as case numbers 130, 196 and 331 have recovered and were discharged from Isolation facilities. This means that the country has recorded 35 recoveries since the start of the pandemic.
The number of active cases increased to 1 209 while health officials now have to monitor 1 802 active contacts of confirmed cases.