GRADE eleven and twelve learners who attend states schools in the Local Authority Areas of Swakopmund, Walvis Bay and Arandis will have to wait an additional two days before they can resume face-to-face classes, while private school learners will still be able to return on Monday as originally scheduled.
The Executive Director of Education, Arts and Culture, Sanet Steenkamp, in a statement, said it was resolved during continued to consultations with the Governor that the re-opening of schools for Grade 11 and 12 in Swakopmund, Walvis Bay and Arandis be delayed for the next two days to provide teachers, learners and parents sufficient time for logistical arrangements, be it at school and from home.
“The directorate will advocate and inform parents on alternative schooling and the Learning From Home delivery mode. During the next two days, parents will be required to indicate whether they would prefer making use of the Learning From Home delivery mode as stipulated in circulars previously distributed while the Directorate of Education, Arts and Culture will constantly continue to engage and facilitate strategies on teaching and modalities seeing that many concerns were raised in the Walvis Bay Municipal Area,” she explained.
She added that the regional directorate will also explore the option of arranging official transportation for learners to and from schools and central pick-up points in Kuisebmond to assist with safe transportation.
Further modalities on teaching and learning will include possible hostel accommodation for learners and the strict adherence to health and safety protocols at all schools.
Learners who might opt for the Learning From Home mode should be assisted properly by their respective subject teachers through visual and voice recorded lessons that clearly explain the required basic competencies, new concepts, assessment related activities. School based assessment related preparation should be done as required to ensure that the learners are not disadvantaged in that area as well.
“Amidst all the uncertainties, fears and anxiety, it is imperative that we note that all the Grade 11 and 12 learners registered to take their final exams in NSSCO/H at the end of this year. Therefore it is for crucial importance that all stakeholders contribute significantly to ensure that the class of 2020 receive full support in all the required areas to make a success of the final year of formal schooling. Whilst consultations are ongoing, private schools in these areas have indicated their readiness to re-open on Monday. These schools may proceed provided that parental consent is sought,” Steenkamp said.
She said the Ministry acknowledges that indeed the road ahead might not be easy and may not be embraced by all.
“However, we wish to re-assure the nation that the safety of teachers, learners and all employees is paramount in all the decisions that are taken,” she concluded.