THE COVID-19 pandemic has forced the Institute for Open Learning (IOL) to employ alternative measures to ensure that students get back on track with their studies without compromising the institution’s quality assurance.
IOL received written permission from the Educational Director, to write examinations during Stage 4 of the COVID-19 restrictions scheduled for 6-22 July 2020. However, due to the extension of the lockdown for the Erongo region, IOL had to go back to the drawing board. Erongo region students comprise approximately 10% of the students who qualify to write the examination and cannot be excluded.
Ilana Calitz, Head of Education said: ’’IOL wishes to notify all students that after careful consideration and deliberation, IOL has decided to cancel the examination that was scheduled for July 2020. Instead, students who qualified for the April/May examination will have the opportunity to submit offsite written examination scripts for the various modules. Students who submitted assignments on 1 June 2020 will only be allowed to write examinations for those subjects in November 2020”.
Due to the deviation from the initial examination plan, the institution has agreed on the following assessment strategies.
• All Offsite Exams will be available on the Student Portal from 6 July 2020 until midnight on 14 July 2020 and no booking for the examination will be required.
• To access the Offsite Exams, students will have to click on ‘My Studies’ under ‘Study Material’ ‘Offsite Exam Question Papers. The offsite examination scripts can be submitted at any IOL regional office on or before 15 July 2020 at 15h00. No late submissions will be accepted.
• All couriered offsite examination papers should reach the IOL offices on or before 15 July 2020. If IOL receives couriered offsite exam papers on the 16th of July it will be sent back to the students and will not be considered.
• Students should print offsite exam covers to submit Offsite Exam scripts. Offsite Exam covers will be available on the student portal under the ‘My Studies’ tab. No Offsite Exams will be accepted without exam covers.
• Students should write their answers on the spaces provided in the offsite examination question papers. IOL will only accept handwritten answers in the spaces provided, no typed offsite Exams will be accepted due to security measures and in the event of discrepancies.
Should a student not have exam credits for a specific subject the student will not have access to that specific offsite exam question paper or cover.
Ms. Calitz cautioned students in a letter that, “Academic honesty means demonstrating and upholding the highest integrity by not creating an unfair academic advantage for oneself or an unfair academic advantage or disadvantage for anyone else. In short, it means doing your own work, do not cheat, and do not present the work of others as your own‘’, she said.
Students are welcome to contact IOL office for advice specific to their situation on 061-270 9100 or the Student Counsellor on 061-270 9186.