A WINDHOEK family is seeking any form of assistance from the public after their belongings were destroyed in a fire earlier this week.
Levi Abraham,40, a barber by profession, told Informanté that on Tuesday evening, his 13-year-old daughter and a relative, aged 21, were cooking outside with firewood but didn’t kill the flames they were done.
“Everything was fine and normal. We usually cook and destroy the fire but that night, it seems the children did not properly put out the fire as one of the woods was still smoking up. It was very windy that day so we suspect the wood just lit up and the fire spread. My daughter was burned on her arm and face but she survived, thankfully. All our belongings were, however, destroyed in the fire,” Abraham said.
According to him, all their documents, including their identification cards and school books, were also destroyed.
Thankfully enough, he said, members of the Operation Kalahari Desert were around the area when the fire occurred and assisted in extinguishing it.
Abraham is appealing to government and the public to help him rebuild his life and home.
“All I was left with are the boxers I was wearing at the time of the fire,” he said, adding that a juke box, two generators, gas cylinders, two fridges and a television also formed part of the items destroyed.
According to Abraham, all of the items destroyed stand at an estimated value of N$200,000.
The family has been living at the shack since 2000.