Select your Top Menu from wp menus
  • Instagram
Police success as chopper helps to hunt criminal gangs

Police success as chopper helps to hunt criminal gangs

Niël Terblanché
SEVEN members of two different robbery gangs were successfully apprehended by members of the Namibian Police in the early hours of Thursday morning after a helicopter from the Nampol Air Wing was deployed to assist officers on the ground in running down suspects who fled on foot.
According to Commissioner Joseph Shikongo, Khomas Regional Commander, officers from both the Omaheke and Khomas Regions were deployed after the first break in was reported in Gobabis during Wednesday night. He said a second break-in occurred at the Otjere Lodge about 19 kilometres from Steinhausen.

Pictured: The scene where several members of a burglary gang that broke into the Otjere Lodge east of Windhoek was arrested earlier on Thursday. – Photo: Contributed

“The two gangs seem to have been operating independently from each other but they used the same back roads to travel to Windhoek after their spree in the east. Members of both gangs were apprehended by the same pair of officers from the Hosea Kutako Airport Police Station patrolling between Seeis and Steinhausen.”
He said the pair officers spotted a suspect vehicle and attempted to stop the car travelling in the direction of Windhoek. The suspects however attempted to flee and near Seeis they drove their vehicle off the road and fled into the bushes.
“We are still tracking two members of the first gang that was apprehended at Seeis. Out of the nine suspects we are still looking for two.”
According to Commissioner Shikongo the gang that targeted the Otjere Lodge broke in through the gates and after gaining entry to the lodge building, they cut open the safe with a gas flame. He said they stole 2 000 Euro and N$6 000 in cash, seven rifles and several bottles of expensive alcohol.
“Four of the suspects were arrested and most of the goods and some of the money stolen at the Otjere Lodge were recovered.”
Commissioner Shikongo said the break in at the Otjere Lodge occurred at about 02:00 and that a team of about 30 police officers are still on the ground tracking the fleeing criminals.
Suspects from the second gang was arrested near the turn-off to Heja Lodge.
According to Commissioner Shikongo the police’s success was made possible by assistance from the public and the high number of officers and resources deployed to the area.

Related posts